Welcome to Kvaesthusselskabet's exhibition pavillon. Here you can explore the many stories and facets of the Kvaesthus and Sankt Annae Projects.
The pavillon is staffed.
The ambition of Kvaesthusprojektet is to provide a solid contribution to the overall mission of Realdania:
.... To improve quality of life for the common good through the built environment
Kvaesthusprojektet is facing the harbour of Copenhagen and geographically located in Frederiksstaden between the heritage harbour of Nyhavn and the Royal Palace of Amalienborg. The closest neighbour to Kvaesthusprojektet is the Royal Danish Playhouse.
The project comprises four main elements which mutually support each other in a single cohesive whole:
• The Kvaesthus urban space
• The Kvaesthus Basin
• Car park under the Kvaesthus urban space
• The Kvaesthus Bridge
The vision for Kvaesthusprojektet is as follows:
• to develop the Kvaesthus urban space into an attractive framework for urban life interacting with the surrounding local area, including the Royal Danish Playhouse and the Opera
• to expand urban life to include activities on the water - in particular in the Kvaesthus Basin
• to enhance parking facilities for the Royal Danish Playhouse and the Opera as well as for the local area in general
• to ensure that transport and movement in the area is functional and safe
This will be done by:
• creating an urban space which communicates the transition between Frederiksstaden and Holmen through a wide architectural “embrace” that extends the classical understanding of space in Frederiksstaden, staged through a sensual mixture of materials and a “fairy-tale” composition of lighting, which in itself makes the square enticing; both day and night
• to soften the transition between land and sea, e.g. with a stairway, and to enable a broad spectrum of recreational activities on and by the water
• to shape the urban space so that lines of movement are simple and logical
The Kvaesthus urban space
The Kvaesthus urban space is to be an attractive square in the middle of the harbour, which stretches all the way from the end of the pier to Nyhavn. To the north of the Playhouse the urban space is to be a large public space of high quality architecture, which reconciles with the qualities of the Opera, the Playhouse, Frederiksstaden and Holmen. The urban space will be flexible and functional in relation to different forms of movement, expression and experience on shore and on the water.
The Kvaesthus Basin
The Kvaesthus Basin is to form the framework for a new recreational harbour environment with water front activities, for both large and small vessels.
This includes establishing pavilions and seating areas close to the water and by offering space for various types of vessels such as tourist and leisure boats, as well as a stop-off for water taxies and ferries.
The car park will be a state of the art underground facility located in the Kvaesthus Pier. It will be a functionally efficient, attractive and inviting facility. Using the car park will be an integrated and positive part of the overall experience of attending a performance at the Royal Theatre, visiting the urban space or taking part in some other activity in the local area.
The car park will be built as a three-storey underground facility with room for up to 500 vehicles.
The Sankt Annae area
Sankt Annae Plads is adjacent to Kvaesthusprojektet and it will be renovated as an independent project at the same time as building work on the Kvaesthus pier. Sankt Annae Projektet will create cohesion between urban life and traffic throughout the whole area. At the same time as the new parking facility is being established, parking spaces will be removed from the area at street level. This will make room for more green areas and better conditions for pedestrians and cyclists. It will also allow for ambitious climate-change protection in the Sankt Annae area, so that water from extreme rainfall is led out into the harbour rather than ending in the cellars of the historic buildings. The project is being carried out by Kvaesthusselskabet in collaboration with the City of Copenhagen.
The Kvaesthus Bridge
The project partners are interested in establishing the Kvaesthus Bridge across the harbour. This will only be possible, however, if there remains a need for such a link after construction of the car park and the urban space at the Kvaesthus Pier, and after construction of the bridge over the inner harbour.
The Kvaesthus Bridge will be a footbridge open to cyclists and it will be able to open up, hence allowing for vessels with high masts to enter the southern part of the inner harbour.
Partners behind the Kvaesthus Project
Realdania and the Danish Ministry of Culture have set up a partnership agreement for the Kvaesthus Project, which includes building the car park and establishing the urban space at the Kvaesthus site.
The Project has been organised with a steering committee including representatives from the Ministry of Culture, the Royal Theatre and Realdania.
A limited company (Kvæsthusselskabet) has been established to manage construction of the car park and squares. Kvæsthusselskabet is a subsidiary of Realdania By /Realdania.
Read more about Realdania